Who was your LG?

The first person that I met in Rourkela after a thirty-four hour journey from Madras, through godforsaken towns and villages that don't find a mention even in railway timetables, was the person that would eventually sign up to be my "local guardian" (LG).

My LG, Dr V Prasad (name changed for his own safety), was a decent gentleman and a professor at a local college.

He, and his wife, were brilliantly hospitable people. They fed me well and took good care of me. Dr Prasad even drove me to the college, in his Bajaj Chetak, and helped me through the college enrollment.

Dr Prasad was related to our landlord in Madras.

"Behave decently with him, or the house owner will have your mother evicted from the house" Ramana mama, my maternal uncle, had warned me, before I left town.

The concept of LG (which had initially sounded like a brand of asafoetida) was intriguing.

Per college rules, every student had to have a person with a local address that would take responsibility for the student's conduct during their time at college. The college could summon the LG to complain about the students' misdemeanors, incomplete assignments, unpaid mess fees, unsolved police cases, and so on. The LG could be a relative, an acquaintance, "a temple priest, or a thug - so long as they had a local address, where nasty letters could be sent", my senior, RK Ramesh told me, during our first meeting.

It sounded like an ominous responsibility to take. I doubted if Ramana mama. himself. would have signed up for it, let alone someone seven seas and fourteen mountains away.

Most of us ended up piling on to a friend's LG or cooked up an imaginary name and address at a faraway sector in Rourkela so as to keep the communications from the college away from our parents. For the lucky few that did have an LG in flesh and blood, it often meant great food, a hideout to escape ragging (and pungas in later years), a potential marriage alliance, and what not.

But one had to strike the right balance and not kill the goose that laid the golden eggs, in a manner of speaking.

My friends, Ganesh and Naresh, did just that, within a few months into first year. Ridden with gastronomic temptation and famished by weeks of bland mess food, they ravenously gobbled up eighteen idlis and nine vadas each, accompanied by four katoras of sambhar and a large bowl of "getti" coconut chutney, and washed it off with one-and-half tumblers of filter coffee, at their LG's place.

The belching of the two satisfied stomachs was heard kilometers away, and was mistaken for sounds from the blast furnace at Rourkela Steel Plant.

The LG's household was so traumatized by the raid on their kitchen that they immediately packed up their belongings and transferred to another town, leaving no trail of their whereabouts.

I have heard of other stories where REC students overinterpreted the hospitality of the LG and sought to solemnize the guardianship with a marriage proposal to their daughter. They had killed the golden goose again. After all, the seamless conversion of "dosti" to "rishtedaari" worked only in Sooraj Barjatya's movies.

As for my LG, Dr Prasad, in order not to render my mom homeless, I maintained a safe distance from him and his two marriageable daughters. After my first meeting, I perhaps, met with him on a couple of occasions.  The sacrifices one had to make, in those days, to keep family safe!

Did you have an LG? What were they like? Did they help you traverse the tough world of REC? Feed you with good food? Or did you cause them to quit their job and leave town overnight?!



Friends, if you are trying to comment on the blog, copy (CTRL+C, I meant) your comments before publishing / logging in...just in case the comments vanish without a trace. Anonymous commenting is an option now, but it is still not working on certain devices. Sorry!







Interested in reading my other blogs?

How about my ode to old Hindi film music? Which is here --> THE GOLDEN AGE OF HINDI FILM MUSIC.

The first episode is HERE.

Or my eulogy to one of the greatest playback singers of India? SP BALASUBRAHMANYAM.

15 comments:

  1. Hmmm...@ Puttu, you never disclosed that your LG had marriageable daughters. So you must have had plans then. And you didn't want competition. You haven't mentioned how they looked, how they dressed, what they were studying, what they thought of you etc. Spice it up a bit yaar!!
    Overall, nice humorous piece:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What ? He never told you about them 'marriageable daughters' in those four years ?.. Strange ...murky ... definitely fishy ..

      Delete
    2. @Krishna: Certain things are best left unelaborated. "Spice it up"??? You want to shut down the blog or what :-))??! Already it is leading a hand-to-mouth existence :-|.

      Delete
  2. And btw, I have posted my third chapter in the previous blog. I guess that blog is now exhausted, so any remaining stuff I will combine with this blog and post here in order to ensure readership. Yeah, I 'm not letting you pewpels off the hook so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you have ? Ok so let's get this straight .. we are getting paid to read and comment on only one blog .. Methinks we need to revise the terms of payment here .. some locha happening ..

      Delete
    2. Good Krishna! Read your third chapter! Loved reading it!

      Delete
  3. Niiiice .... niiiiice ... This time it was Ramana mama ? Chechu mama didn't say anything ?
    What made you stay away from your LG and meet them only a couple of times , inspite of them having two 'marriageable daughters' ? Or was it because they had two 'marriageable daughters' ?
    I had no idea LGs had to sign such an MOU with the college .. phew ..
    While I had no LG being a dayski, my parents were LG to two boys back to back 😎..
    With the second boy , the Sooraj Barjatya theme did work .. Just that the boy involved has a different perspective about the whole matter .. For the four years of LGship that he was provided with, he had to pay by providing a lifetime of LGship to the daughter ..
    My take on the matter is , Let's just have filter kaapi and rest the matter.. ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Are you saying your husband is a Rengcolian? And your parents provided him LGship? This should be the topic for the next blog I say. How Rachna met Rajesh or vice versa.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, my mama's have all had a deep impact on me!! Oh nice! See?! The Barjatyan theme worked for you! Good for you. (And now Krishna you to spice it up further!).

      Delete
    3. Methinks your mamas made a mamu out of you 😬😬😬..
      Oh yes the Barjatya theme worked totally for me .
      Take 1- Rajesh and I neighbours as kids ..
      Take 2- Rajesh returns to Rourkela to do engg and my parents become his LG..
      Take 3- He marries me and becomes my LG in return..

      Delete
  4. My LGs ( Mausa and Mausi) found a daughter in me and pampered me to be core.. Every weekend it was a dilemma whether to have hostel Masti or run away to her place to have yummy khana. I remember when my cousin used to come to pick me up, some of my friends drooled..he was quite a handsome chap... So along with me I suppose my friends also waited for weekends to come....Those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sangeeta, pileej to spacify the droolers.

      Delete
    2. @Sangeeta: Thanks for sharing your thoughts! So, it looks like you struck the right balance with your LG - partook on the yummy khana but make them bankrupt! Good strategy :-).

      Delete
    3. Oh, the handsome cousin?!! The plot thickened...

      Delete
    4. Woe be tide my dayski status .. never got to see the handsome cousin ..

      Delete

COMING SOON! In The Whirlpools of the Koel River - by Virinchi B Srinivasan

"IN THE WHIRLPOOLS OF THE KOEL RIVER" - By Virinchi B Srinivasan What is it? A novel that offers glimpses into personalit...