The Epiphanies of Summer Training



By the end of our third-year summer training, two things became abundantly clear to me.

First, that I will likely live through a nuclear holocaust. And second, that I was not going to make a career running blast furnaces and Linz-Donawitz converters - not my thing, I would realize.


The weeks preceding the internship were dreary - if not tragic. The college was ensnared in a jaundice epidemic of epic proportions; over eighty percent of the hostel residents were affected by it. It was crazy. Everyone looked yellow and alleged that others did - talk of a jaundiced view of the world. The college dispensary was in overdrive, prescribing medicines (that, as usual, cured nothing), and writing away medical certificates.



The quacks of Rourkela performed thumping business coming up with miraculous "Ayurvedic" cures for jaundice.

The college authorities were sleeping at the wheel.

In a couple of weeks, the college was shut down, the mess was closed, and the water connections (which were found to be reason for the epidemic) were stopped.

Those that could, fled to their homes, like rats deserting a sinking ship.The final years had to stay back as their semester exams were around the corner. This was, after all, the last time they had to rote their lessons and "give" their exams (which is how we characterized the activity of writing exams). Come what may; jaundice or plague, they were determined to brave it out and get the wretched degree in their hands.

An unfortunate few, like me, who were still in the third year, had to stay back for forty-five more days, for mandatory training at Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP).

Summer was at its peak and the mercury often touched forty eight degrees Celsius. The training started early at 7 am in the morning and ended by 1 pm. It was a hogwash, as was the one from the previous year.

Exactly a year ago, I had been comfortably ensconced in the familiar environs of my sister's home in Bangalore and took training at the relatively plush foundry at Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). I was a year younger and hence a lot less cynical, and took my non-ferrous metallurgy, precision casting, and ductility of alloy steels, quite seriously.

But I also had my priorities clear. The exquisite food at the HAL executive canteen was a clear attraction. I was one of the first to arrive at the canteen and once I devoured over multiple servings of food, took long walks around the HAL campus. The timings were not regulated and the authorities were lax. After maybe the second week, I started leaving right after lunch. I had found friends that I could hang out with in nearby Indira Nagar and I went out for movies, played cricket, and did other fun stuff with them. I had a great time!

How things had changed in a year! Bangalore's temperate weather and my sister's home comfort gave way to the notorious Rourkelan summer, and the jaundice-stricken hostels.

To make matters worse, the training was a lot more organized in RSP!

We all had to travel by the college bus. The security didn't let us out without permits. So, we had to clock the entire six hours every day. We were shown the plants and offices over the first hour or so and made to sit around for the next five hours, with nothing to do. A few enterprising folks, sang songs, recited shaayaris, and cracked jokes, to while away time and keep others entertained. After a few weeks, however, we were wary of the routine - the jokes and the shaayaris were getting contrived and repetitive.

The food at the steel plant was horrible; to a point where we started missing the mess food.

Within a matter of days, I hitched up with a few final years to cook our own food once we returned - the final years from classes and me from training. Through a summer of scorching heat and depressing boredom and desperation, we followed the same routine for forty days. We came back to the hostel, around one thirty; then, sat around, cut vegetables feverishly, and prepared food in meditative silence - we didn't have the energy to even exchange pleasantries - and then ate the food.

Due to the stoppage of the water connection, we had to ration the water that we fetched from a few kilometers away and use it ultra-judiciously.

When we ate the simple dal/sambhar, rice, and pappad, by 2.15 pm or so, it was the only thing that offered succor to a bunch of bruised souls. We, then, forced ourselves to a quick nap that lasted for half-hour as the power was cut off, due to summer "load shedding", precisely at 3 pm. In the heat and sultriness, it was impossible to sleep without the fan. We spent the time between 3 pm and 6 pm at Back Post in darkness. We followed the same routine every day. Even the stimulating environment of Back Post helped little to cheer us up.

Our life had become an under-funded, Malayalam art movie and a 1980's Doordarshan Tuesday drama, combined!

On one of the days at training, a gregarious, middle-aged engineer, an alumnus of REC Rourkela and employed at the steel plant, took us to the "restricted area" of the Blast Furnace, through the control room, right into the garba griha of the Steel Plant. It was awful - the air heavy with simmering heat and particulate dust, and the steady din of machinery and flowing molten metal. I looked around at the workers that made a living in this hellhole. Their eyes were in a daze and they looked at me forlornly. This is what the biblical "fire and brimstone" of eternal damnation must look like, I had thought.

"Sir, how do you work at this place? It is so hot!", I asked the engineer, as we came out.

He smiled. "You will get used to it", he said, quite convincingly. I didn't think so.

When I returned to the air-conditioned comfort of the control room and felt the stark contrast of the surroundings, the lazy bum in me, once again, came to the fore, to make a sweeping career decision. There is no way I am going to spend a life time in the company of molten alloys and steel, I said to myself. My romance with metallurgical engineering had ended.

At the end of forty-five days, as I took the thirty four journey back to Madras, I wrote my epitaph onto the "training diary".

I had to choose another gig...




Interested in reading my other blogs?

How about my ode to old Hindi film music? Which is here --> THE GOLDEN AGE OF HINDI FILM MUSIC.

The first episode is HERE.

Or my eulogy to one of the greatest playback singers of India? SP BALASUBRAHMANYAM.

16 comments:

  1. Well..The second year training was probably one of the best experiences of college life. That's when the famous "bite in the ass" incident took place. That second floor corner room facing the street, that playing bridge till 2 am every night, that staying locked in the room all night because aunty would leave her 2 dobermans in the corridor, that nurse trying to give injection in the butt, that "watering the flower pot" at night as we could not go to bathroom because of the dogs, that so called training at Goa ship yard, those beach dance parties and many more experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-))) too good Mote!!! Just so much fun listening!! We should relive that in Goa at some point. Take the same house for rent!!

      Delete
    2. Yeah .. we should relive those days.. minus the dog bite episode..🤣

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written Brags! How could you recollect all these after so long...? The summer trainings for me was pretty good...the second year training at FCI, Sindri(my home town at that point of time) and the third one at IOCL,Haldia(believe it or not it was a paid one and i received around Rs.800/- as a stipend and my first earnings). Even had submitted a report of the 6 different departments visited in those six weeks. Good experience gained!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Santi!!! Aree...tum achche bachche kab se ho Gaya tha yaar? :-))).

      FCI? For Chemical? Interesting. My dad used to work at FCI.

      That's a nice stipend at IOCL. I was also initially keen on going for one of these stipend paying opportunities. But couldn't find any.

      Delete
    2. Kya baat kar rahe ho Santi !!?? Stipend ?? Why didn't you tell us before ? We would have shunned you from our friendship .. we wouldn't keep such abominable company .. no sir ..

      Delete
  3. Oh man !!!! How do you even remember such details !!! What a wonderful account ..as usual , delightful , funny and full of nostalgia ..
    Hey I did my training in Bangalore and at RSP too !! Bangalore KSDL will remain the high point of my engg life .. Sita's dad arranged it for us .. Sita, Niketan , Mani and me ..
    Having grown up in a small town like Rourkela , Bangalore was the first view to the majestic world outside .. and I couldn't have asked for better company .. those were such unbelievably crazy days .. Puttu , you always manage to get me entangled in the memory maze !
    Wonderful account, again !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did? Bangalore and RSP? Hmm...how come you didn't contact me?! Ridiculous.

      "Puttu , you always manage to get me entangled in the memory maze ! "

      Relax...don't get sentimental now...as you had mentioned in another blog, let us stick to mindless comedy.

      Delete
  4. Very well written

    The chores are the same 17 years after we graduated (2000 Ceramic Engineering Batch).!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks "Trillionaire"!

      :-)) Glad to know it was the same 17 years later. But I can see why. I mean the training diary is such a timeless thing, you know!!

      Delete
  5. Nicely written. My second year training in Bangalore DRDL was a smooth one. It had fair amount of exposure with good food. The third year was cut short by half because of Jaundice. I was in ITR Chandipur and the first Agni test launch was planned during the training time. I was too disappointed to miss the majority of the training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Anil bhai!!

      Oh, I remember Chandipur and the Agni missile launch. I think one of the islands was named after Abdul Kalam after one of those launches.

      Delete
  6. That was brutal. I was made to go to a quack that summer and he gave me this atrocious concoction that I had to drink to cure jaundice. And I thought that was bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Yeah and there was just this own quack! Who lived in Koel Nagar.

      Delete
  7. Summer Training meant weeks away from college and home but with friends and fun..

    The very first training was in my home-town Pragati computers @ Pondicherry.. Was put into programming lab where I would come in every day, sit for 4 hours, read the lines of code printed on papers, summarize it and go home.. Even to get this, had to go in with recommendation and references... As it was home town, just kill some time and then go around with local friends..

    The second one was at ITI @ Bangalore.. What does computer student had to with Telecom Industry with electrical students together.. It was more fun as cousins lived in the same town.. Everyday sit at Transformer room, talk to the manager , hit the mess right at 11:55AM, read the circuit diagram and go to cousin place in the evening.. One of the manager was so impressed with our commitment that he invited us to his home for great non-veg lunch..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer training in Pondicherry?! That would have been nice! Never thought about that.

      Yeah, ITI. I think Venky took training in ITI in his third year? Along with a few others. Sathya's dad used to work there. Good times during my second year.

      Delete

COMING SOON! In The Whirlpools of the Koel River - by Virinchi B Srinivasan

"IN THE WHIRLPOOLS OF THE KOEL RIVER" - By Virinchi B Srinivasan What is it? A novel that offers glimpses into personalit...